At The Highway we believe that every child matters and that our musical opportunities and education provide a fantastic way for all children to know that they are valuable, important and able to succeed.
Music has always held a strong position at The Highway. Weekly class lessons provided by Mrs Bailey, our specialist music teacher, ensures a steady progression of learning right through from Reception to Year 6 and within classroom music projects, emphasis is on involvement for all children, developing a wide range of experience and skills to reach their full potential.
The children participate in a full programme of musical presentations and productions at key times of the school year:
Key Stage 1 children present the following each year:
- Whole school Harvest Celebration - every class performs an exciting item
- Christmas Nativity - Year 2 take the leading roles in a Christmas show, ably supported by Year 1 and Reception.
- Summer Concert - a celebration of all that Summer means in song and poetry
and Key Stage 2 children are involved in:
- Whole school Harvest Celebration - more fun and thought provoking reflections on Harvest with a musical flavour.
- Christmas Carol Service - at Christ Church, our local parish church
- Easter Concert - a showcase of Year 3 and Year 4's curriculum work
- End of Year Musical Theatre Production - a high quality show to send Year 6 out in style, with Year 5 supporting. Fantastic costumes and lighting complete the theatrical experience for performers and audience alike with outstanding acting, dancing and singing by our children. In recent Years we have seen productions of Beauty and the Beast, The Jungle Book and Joseph.
This range of performances incorporates individual performers, small and whole class ensembles, as well as Key Stage and Whole School opportunities which foster a broad range of participation. The curriculum provides an enriched experience for children of all abilities as well as furthering cross-curricular and multi-cultural links with many areas eg dance, art, history, geography, religious education, drama and literacy. These presentations aim to build upon children's creativity, identity and individuality and to enhance their self-esteem and confidence. Both instrumental and vocal skills are fostered and showcased.
As well as the above opportunities in which all children participate, there are further extra-curricular activities which extend children's experience and expertise. Children are encouraged to join the choir and orchestra which meet at lunchtimes.
The bi-annual Bromley Schools Prom is a much-anticipated wonderful event at which our children, together with other schools, combine music making with drama and dance.
Children are also encouraged to engage in individual instrumental lessons offered through Bromley Youth Music Trust. They can chose from a variety of instruments across the musical spectrum including piano, guitar and ukulele, drums, flute and recorder and the violin. Our team of peripatetic teachers periodically lead inspirational assemblies to showcase their pupils and instruments to promote learning and enjoyment. Our school orchestra fosters their growing skills and helps children to learn to play together and have fun sharing in music making.
Music is integral to community life at The Highway, contributing to children's spiritual, moral, social and cultural education. The way it can be combined with so many aspects of learning means that it thrives and helps our children to grow and thrive too as they enjoy learning and performing together.