At The Highway we believe that every child matters and that our musical opportunities and education provide a fantastic way for all children to know that they are valuable, important and able to succeed.
Music has always held a strong position at The Highway. We follow an interactive music scheme called 'Charanga' which ensures a steady progression of learning right through from Reception to Year 6.
The children participate in a full programme of musical presentations and productions at key times of the school year:
Key Stage 1 children present the following each year:
- Whole school Harvest Celebration - every class performs an exciting item
- Christmas Nativity - Year 2 take the leading roles in a Christmas show, ably supported by Year 1 and Reception.
- Summer Concert - a celebration of all that Summer means in song and poetry
and Key Stage 2 children are involved in:
- Whole school Harvest Celebration - more fun and thought provoking reflections on Harvest with a musical flavour.
- Christmas Carol Service - at Christ Church, our local parish church
- End of Year Musical Theatre Production - a high quality show to send Year 6 out in style, with Year 5 supporting. Fantastic costumes and lighting complete the theatrical experience for performers and audience alike with outstanding acting, dancing and singing by our children. In recent Years we have seen productions of Beauty and the Beast, The Jungle Book and Joseph.
This range of performances incorporates individual performers, small and whole class ensembles, as well as Key Stage and Whole School opportunities which foster a broad range of participation. These presentations aim to build upon children's creativity, identity and individuality and to enhance their self-esteem and confidence. Both instrumental and vocal skills are fostered and showcased.
As well as the above opportunities in which all children participate, there are further extra-curricular activities which extend children's experience and expertise. Children are encouraged to join the choir which meets after school on a Monday.
Children are also encouraged to engage in individual instrumental lessons offered through Bromley Youth Music Trust. They can chose from a variety of instruments across the musical spectrum including piano, guitar and ukulele, drums, flute and recorder and the violin. Our team of peripatetic teachers periodically lead inspirational assemblies to showcase their pupils and instruments to promote learning and enjoyment.