Personal, Social and Health Education
At The Highway we value the children's spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development and that through PSHE we can also encourage children to become healthier, more independent and more responsible members of society.
We aim to embed this learning through all aspects of the children's time at school by having regular PSHE assemblies and integrating it with our learning challenge curriculum.
To support this, for all pupils in all Year groups, we follow the SEAL (social and emotional aspects of learning) programme.
SEAL follows 6 core themes throughout the school year:
- Theme 1: 'New Beginnings' (September/October)
- Theme 2: ‘Getting on and falling out’ (November/December)
- Theme 3: ‘Say no to bullying’ (during Anti-Bullying week)
- Theme 4: ‘Going for goals’ (January/February)
- Theme 5: ‘Relationships’ (March/April)
- Theme 6: ‘Changes’ (June/July)
To further develop all children through SMSC aspects we have regular fund-raising events for charity throughout the school year. Additionally, every March we have 'House Cause Day' when our 4 Houses each chose a different worthy cause and organise events to raise money specifically for that charity.